At 16.30 hrs (Eastern Daylight Saving time : deduct three for Pacific add 6 for Europe) I am at 32.17 N 66.20 W with 75 miles to go to Bermuda. So, if these winds hold I’ll be in before dark Friday evening, into Bermuda. In the last 6 hours I have covered 28 miles or an average of close to 5 knots. From yesterday’s position at 15.30 hours till 0600 this morning I covered 5 miles towards Bermuda. An average of 0.3 miles per hour…… I believe that I prefer a gale, praying hard, to the agonizing penitence of no wind at all and being slapped around by the waves and surge. It is impossible to sleep with the racket. If I have a sail up it will act as a giant fan when the boat is slapped from side to side by the remaining waves/surge from the previous storm. So, the windvane is confused by the fan wind as to where it ought to go. I did give in and motor for a few hours till the wind filled in. And now it is like a sailor’s dream. Full main and a pole out 140% on a beam reach in about 15 knots of wind.
The Harken dealer in Bermuda has ordered the head foil feeder replacement that is laying, by now, on the bottom of the Atlantic, thanks to the great service I always get from Fisheries Supply in Seattle.